Display Pivot's gizmo scale, Project folders and some ideas

Use this forum to consult/request akeytsu features

Moderator: fairy

Display Pivot's gizmo scale, Project folders and some ideas

PostPosted by ziggie » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi guys !

so, yesterday I started building my rig and immediately noticed something interesting.I couldn't really see my Display pivots option at first when I activated it from the numeric keyboard by pressing 5. But, then I zoomed in closer to my bones and noticed that they were indeed showing but they were really small due to my mesh being really really big. Further more I couldn't find how to '' adjust '' the size of Display Pivots '' gizmo ''. So, that would be my suggestion - '' automatic scaling of Display Pivot gizmo ' to fit the desired units scale in the scene, so that you can see the gizmo regardless of the scene unit value. Hope it makes sense.

Second idea : Project folder - similar to Maya but more flexible and more user friendly with easy switching between older project folders and better overview of the '' directory environment ''. What do you guys think about that, If this was already suggested before please just ignore this second idea.

As you probably predicted Akeytsu at the present moment is still a bit challenging to understand. If we had some kind of warning or error log displayed in the viewport window pointing us to what we '' did '' wrong or what would be the correct way to do it. I think this would be really cool.

Anyway, cheers all, thy for reading this and I'm really looking forward to next update.
All best.
N.
ziggie

Re: Display Pivot's gizmo scale, Project folders and some id

PostPosted by Aurélien - nukeygara » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi Ziggie,

Thanks for your suggestions!
Concerning pivot display, please change joint size factor corresponding to your mesh size (joint size factor drives pivot size too). In fact the default scene is in cm (meaning by that, 40 cm grid size with joints and IK targets very small size factor).
We choosed this default settings to keep coherence with the minuscule akeyboy original size. This default settings may caused problems to some users who thought that there was import issues about their character: they thought their character was too big, or became big but it was the not the case. It was just a setting problem, and when they imported a normal character in this tiny scene, their character seemed big. For information, we will release a new akeyboy template with "normal" size so the default scene settings will be updated too.
For the moment please go in "Preferences" and change joint size factor and target factor. You can update units and grid size too.

Yep, your idea about project folders is interesting.
By the way, a first level of improvement is planned: propose a kind of "memory" for Save, Open, Import, etc. in order to find per action (save, etc.) what folder was used last time for this action. A second level of improvement could be the possibility to switch between for (projects) folders. We will take time to consider it. Could you give us more details about what you like to improve (more flexible, better, etc.) ?

Concerning log messages, yes, we already work on it, putting little by little more messages and information to users.

Merry Christmas ;-)
Cheers
Aurelien
Aurélien Charrier
-nukeygara-
Aurélien - nukeygara

PostPosted by ziggie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:48 am

Aurélien - nukeygara wrote:Hi Ziggie,

Thanks for your suggestions!
Concerning pivot display, please change joint size factor corresponding to your mesh size (joint size factor drives pivot size too). In fact the default scene is in cm (meaning by that, 40 cm grid size with joints and IK targets very small size factor).
We choosed this default settings to keep coherence with the minuscule akeyboy original size. This default settings may caused problems to some users who thought that there was import issues about their character: they thought their character was too big, or became big but it was the not the case. It was just a setting problem, and when they imported a normal character in this tiny scene, their character seemed big. For information, we will release a new akeyboy template with "normal" size so the default scene settings will be updated too.
For the moment please go in "Preferences" and change joint size factor and target factor. You can update units and grid size too.

Yep, your idea about project folders is interesting.
By the way, a first level of improvement is planned: propose a kind of "memory" for Save, Open, Import, etc. in order to find per action (save, etc.) what folder was used last time for this action. A second level of improvement could be the possibility to switch between for (projects) folders. We will take time to consider it. Could you give us more details about what you like to improve (more flexible, better, etc.) ?

Concerning log messages, yes, we already work on it, putting little by little more messages and information to users.

Merry Christmas ;-)
Cheers
Aurelien

Hi Aurelien, best wishes for 2017 to you and the team.

I'm really glad to hear you guys are already working on so many new features, is there any date for the next update ?

Yea, about the project folders, it's pretty simple idea actually. What I mean by '' advanced '' project management or '' environment '' is something what I would call Root project directory which sits above every and any project/scene you want to nest under it. It's simple, lets say I have this random directory on my HDrive which is large enough in size, I name this random directory '' THE GAME '' and this name represents the name of project I'm currently working on. Then within it I nest, lets say 10 different projects called Scene_01 ( up to Scene_10 ).So, this root directory's primary function would be to '' contain '' all the projects or '' scenes '' that are linked to this particular project called '' THE GAME ''. Then it would only be a matter of making these '' ROOT DIRECTORIES '' switchable from within Akeytsu. So, lets say 4 example you start your Akeytsu for the first time and you want to create your project folder, right ? Well, you would be creating two distinctly different folders, one or the FIRST folder is '' THE GAME '' ( 4 example ) and then all the rest are scenes ( or whatever you want to call it ). And then, to sweeten things up at the end, in the File tab within Akeytsu you add option called '' Browse Root directories '' and there you can search for all your R.Directories and switch from one another with ease while keeping track of your projects in a extremely neat way. Akeytsu will always '' remember '' the project/scene environment within any ROOT directory and if for example you '' deleted '' or removed some projects/scenes that were once nested within R.Directory Akeytsu would notify you that the environment has changed and if you want you can '' update '' the new environment so that Akeytsu no longer reports the '' changes ''. Or you can just simply allow the checkbox for '' don't notify me again about this root directory ''.

What do you guys thing about this ?
p.s. I was wondering about some future features and when will they be implemented into Akeytsu ? Like, '' save skin + Apply Skin + Imp.Exp + Delete within SKINNING tab ? and most of all '' jiggle bones, different types of constraints etc. ?

Thank you guys for all your hard work, I'm loving every moment spent within this program.
All best !
Ziggs
ziggie

PostPosted by Aurélien - nukeygara » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:45 pm

Hi Ziggie,

Many thanks!
The team wishes you the very very best for 2017... and tons of animations on akeytsu ;-)
We plan to make an update within the 2 coming weeks. We are actually working on various features and fixes, including Copy/paste skin weights features. Concerning it we finally simplified the design (less buttons, more place to work... very "akeytsu style" in fact). You will see ;-). Different type of constraints or jiggle bones are planned for ... let's say, later.

Thanks for your "advanced" project file management suggestions, it is interesting.
We plan to make first a simple path memory system which will be already helpful and then in a second phase, we will try to think about a more "advanced" system (as you suggested).

We are really happy you love to work with akeytsu

Thanks for your support and stay tuned!
Happy New Year
Aurelien
Aurélien Charrier
-nukeygara-
Aurélien - nukeygara

Return to akeytsu - Feature requests