FBX import problems with animation data from other apps

Use this forum to consult/report akeytsu bugs

Moderator: fairy

FBX import problems with animation data from other apps

PostPosted by ziggie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:30 am

Hi guys

so, I've noticed something strange with FBX importer in Akeytsu. What I mean by it is when I import FBX from any other app with animation data and all translation and rotation values in keys properly baked to a single - base layer I get this really weird result in Akeytsu. In setup/rigging mode Akeytsu shows correct Bind pose for the skeleton and all the weights within model. also, skeleton is properly imported as well in this mode.
However, when I switch modes from rigging to animation the whole thing falls apart. Mesh is literally wrapped around the spine bones, hierarchy of the bones is entirely messed up and of course, animation is being played because data exists but the interpretation of the transform values on bones is entirely wrong.
here's the link for the image of this error :

https://www.expirebox.com/download/9a68 ... aec7c.html

anyone has any idea what could that be, thx in advance I really appreciate it
All best
Ziggs
ziggie

Re: FBX import problems with animation data from other apps

PostPosted by Aurélien - nukeygara » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:21 am

Hi Ziggie,

Thanks for your image.
However could you send us your fbx at our support email address ?

Many thanks
Aurelien
Aurélien Charrier
-nukeygara-
Aurélien - nukeygara

PostPosted by ziggie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi guys

thank you for your reply, unfortunately I cannot send you this particular .fbx file since I don't have permission from my superiors.
However, I can try to replicate the same bug with some different mesh exported from different program, If I menage to do that I'll send you that one instead.

Thank you
Best,
Ziggs
ziggie

PostPosted by Aurélien - nukeygara » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:52 am

Hi Ziggie,

Thank you.
Yes, we would be interested to know if you have this problem on other fbx files. We do not reproduce the bug here.
Did you notice it only since 3.4 version ?

Thanks,
Aurelien
Aurélien Charrier
-nukeygara-
Aurélien - nukeygara

PostPosted by ziggie » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:46 pm

Aurélien - nukeygara wrote:Hi Ziggie,

Thank you.
Yes, we would be interested to know if you have this problem on other fbx files. We do not reproduce the bug here.
Did you notice it only since 3.4 version ?

Thanks,
Aurelien

Hi Aurelien

Can you provide that '' support '' address, can't seem to find any ( or not looking in the right place most likely that's the case )
I'll send you a really short animation clip of quadruped trot cycle, there is no mesh and no skin applied to it, bit it makes no difference since the problem persists within akeytsu regardless of skin-mesh being present or not.
I've already tested this file in multiple apps and they all read the anim data correctly :( grr

Waiting for your email, thank you very much for your support and help
All best
Ziggs
ziggie

PostPosted by Aurélien - nukeygara » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi Ziggie,

The email address is support@nukeygara.com.

Thanks.
Aurélien
Aurélien Charrier
-nukeygara-
Aurélien - nukeygara

PostPosted by ziggie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Aurélien - nukeygara wrote:Hi Ziggie,

The email address is support@nukeygara.com.

Thanks.
Aurélien

Email was sent, many thx team
All best
Ziggs
ziggie

PostPosted by Cédric - nukeygara » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:53 pm

Hello Ziggie,

I have checked the file you sent us.
The problem comes from an akeytsu import bug when joint orient is not (0., 0., 0.) in Maya...
Could you try to reset all joint orients (Maya Attribute Editor/Joint/Joint Orient), and, even if it explodes your model/animations,
check that you obtain the same result in akeytsu (after exporting/importing it) ?

Also, could you send us the "really short animation clip of quadruped trot cycle" you previously spoke about ?

Thank you,
Cedric
Cédric - nukeygara
Site Admin

PostPosted by ziggie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Cédric - nukeygara wrote:Hello Ziggie,

I have checked the file you sent us.
The problem comes from an akeytsu import bug when joint orient is not (0., 0., 0.) in Maya...
Could you try to reset all joint orients (Maya Attribute Editor/Joint/Joint Orient), and, even if it explodes your model/animations,
check that you obtain the same result in akeytsu (after exporting/importing it) ?

Also, could you send us the "really short animation clip of quadruped trot cycle" you previously spoke about ?

Thank you,
Cedric

Hi Cedric

Hm, well, when I zero out the orientation values on specific bones of course the whole thing breaks badly, but on import akeytsu interprets it correctly so you were absolutely right about the need to zero out the orientation values. But, isn't this a bit weird, i mean, not all skeletons that we want to work with have zeroed out values on joint orientation channels, it's a bit too much too expect since sometimes you actually need to have these non-zero values on some bones.
As for the example with the animation clip I can't really share that file as I've mentioned before the reasons for it, but I think you solved the mystery of this bug. So, will Akeytsu ever be able to handle skeletons with non-zero values on orientation channels ?
All best team
Ziggs
ziggie

PostPosted by Cédric - nukeygara » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:53 am

Thank you for your answer, Ziggie.

Now that we have spotted the reason why our import "fails", we will fix it, sure => Akeytsu will not force anymore users to zero-out the joint orient values.
But before fixing/releasing, it is the only way to get a correct interpretation in akeytsu.

Regards,
Cedric
Cédric - nukeygara
Site Admin

Next

Return to akeytsu - Bug reports