Reimport Skin, but Keep Animations

Use this forum to consult/request akeytsu features

Moderator: fairy

Reimport Skin, but Keep Animations

PostPosted by TheDudeFromCI » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Currently, Akeytsu works great for designing animations, assuming the model is finished. However, on numerous occasions, I have needed to for one reason or another update the model. At this point, I usually have many animations for a character finished, and would far rather not redo them.

Because I do all of my riggings in Blender, I update the model and reapply the bone weights. Sadly, as far as I've found, there is no way to send this new skin to Akeytsu and have all of the animations still work. I've played with rebinding the skin too, but that seems to clear all the bone weights and generate its own weights.

In summary, my feature request is a way to reimport a skin for a character but keep the bone hierarchy and animations still intact. Or if there's already one way to do this, please let me know. Thanks, and have a great day. :D
TheDudeFromCI

Re: Reimport Skin, but Keep Animations

PostPosted by TheDudeFromCI » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:04 am

Update:
I found a way to do this manually, by exporting the mesh and updating the skin through Blender. While this setup works, I lose all keyframes and only have the baked curves that Akeytsu exports. I will use this method for now. I still would like to have the option mentioned above for simplicity and to preserve the animation curves.
TheDudeFromCI

PostPosted by Aurélien - nukeygara » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi TheDude... (and welcome ;-)),

Among our current tasks we are working on the copy (past) skin weight feature, meaning you will be able to update your meshes without having to rebind your skin from scratch.
In the meantime, we may have a still hidden and WIP workflow that could help you. If you click "export" and enter manually ".aknm" at the end of your export file name, you won't create a fbx but an akeytsu anim export (containing all the anims of your bank).
If you update your mesh/skinning in Blender but keep your skeleton rigorously identical (WIP), then reimport this new model in akeytsu, you should be able to reimport your animations with aknm.

Happy Easter weekend ;-)

Aurélien
Aurélien Charrier
-nukeygara-
Aurélien - nukeygara

PostPosted by TheDudeFromCI » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Awesome. ^^

Thank you very much for that. That will very greatly help the remodeling process.
Great work on the software, and have a great weekend. :D
TheDudeFromCI

Return to akeytsu - Feature requests