Motion Capture Animation Import

Moderator: fairy

Motion Capture Animation Import

PostPosted by OldSalty » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:17 pm

Hello key-framers, I am looking for a way to import motion capture animation to apply to a character I have set up in my scene. Motion capture imports as an FBX and it creates a new character, I need to transfer the animation from the motion capture character to the character in my scene.
Thanks.
OldSalty

Re: Motion Capture Animation Import

PostPosted by fairy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi Old Salty,
A retargeting is in Akeytsu not possible . That means translate all bone to a uniform setup like mechanim humanoid.
But if your model and the mocap skeletion are the same bones, it would possibel to copy and paste all the transformdata
I describe it here in a video what I mean :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfbrSFS2rPo&feature=youtu.be
fairy

PostPosted by OldSalty » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:44 pm

Thanks for the reply, I am currently trying to get animation from the exact same skeleton onto the character I want to animate/clean up. So I will be able to copy and paste the key frames for now which is great. (by the way the video in the link there does not appear to have any sound). But there are a few issues, firstly that the skeleton I am importing is not visible, nor are the key frames of the motion capture it seems. The skeleton and animation is visible if I import it into Maya, perhaps I will try to export again out of Maya. The skeleton is originally captured on the Perception Neuron suit and I re-targeted it to my character in UE4 then exported it out of UE4 to clean up, this is a pretty backwards method, but I am looking to use Akeytsu to simplify the pipeline and bypass having to pay for Motion Builder just to re-target.

The most likely pipeline at the moment will probably be this:
Capture (motion builder/other)->Re-target(motion builder/maya)->Animate/Cleanup (Akeytsu)->Import into engine

but the preferred pipeline would be this:
Capture -> akeytsu -> import into engine

For this reason I would like to ask if you have a plan to introduce re-targeting animation to the software or should I add this discussion to the feature request forums?

Thanks
OldSalty

PostPosted by fairy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:40 pm

(by the way the video in the link there does not appear to have any sound

yes no sound , maybe describe ist the wrong word :D . I wanted quickly show you what I mean in action.

Respect to the missing Bones.
If you have the skeleton in Maya you can bind a mesh to the sceleton, no matter, a cube or sphere or what ever . If you want you can delete the mesh it in akeytu
Anyhow, now you will have bones and animation visible in akeytsu. :)
fairy

PostPosted by Aurélien - nukeygara » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi OldSalty (Hi Fairy)

Yes, we plan to add retargeting features because we want to handle mocap datas in the future. That is our roadmap.
So yes, it is already in the list. No need to add it in the requests forum ;-)
However it is not planned in a near future (according the HR we have at the moment, but it can change).
The team is still very small, so features coming in priority will be announced soon (we have a LOT of things to handle at the moment that is why we did not already come back to the community).
So you will probably have to keep still a bit Mobu for retargeting until features will be in akeytsu. Sorry.
Thanks for your understanding.

Cheers,
Aurelien
Aurélien Charrier
-nukeygara-
Aurélien - nukeygara

PostPosted by OldSalty » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks for the help, I found where the make bones visible button is so I can see the skeleton now and I noticed that scrubbing through the timeline with mocap is a bit laggy (don't know if it's because there are key frames on every frame). just thought I'd give that feedback.

Also the copy and paste keyframes didn't work with for some reason. It is probably to do with the re-targeting that was performed in UE4.
I really like how easy it looks to chop up and edit mocap data in Akeytsu, because of the animation bank and the layering and mixing. So I don't want to give up on using it straight away, but I don't really want to be cleaning mocap on the default avatar before retargeting in ue4, where i can see how it looks on my character.

I guess I'll go back and try motion builder again, either that or just re-rig and skin the character to the same skeleton that the mocap software uses.
Is it possible to import a skeleton and a mesh separately and weight the mesh to the bones in Akeytsu?

Thanks for the help
OldSalty

PostPosted by fairy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:11 pm

Is it possible to import a skeleton and a mesh separately and weight the mesh to the bones in Akeytsu?

yes and it should possible if you use the mocap skeleton (Tpose) for rigging you can use all mocap motion from the same rig :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXzUhdJer0E
fairy

PostPosted by OldSalty » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi again, I have re-targeted my mocap to a character, but I am having trouble with cleaning the mocap in Akeytsu, it seems to be running very slow and it has a lot of layers in the stacker that when I try to merge down it crashed.
My end goal is to cut out a middle chunk of animation from full length mocap and make it a clean looping animation.
So I want to merge all the stacker layers down to one and delete a bunch of keys from the start and end of the animation, then make that middle section of animation to be the full length of the animation. Also constrain his movement to be on the spot like a treadmill instead of having root motion, and make that animation loop.
If you guys could offer any advice on the best way to achieve this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
OldSalty

PostPosted by Aurélien - nukeygara » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi OldSalty,

Do you have any crash message ?
Maybe could you send your akt file to Cedric (cvidalduvernet@nukeygara.com) ?
It is weird you crash during stacker merge excepted if your animation is very very long, but for instance, my mixamo files are about 22 seconds and no problem to merge !
However please keep in mind that handling/editing mocap datas is not the goal of akeytsu V1, so it sounds logical there are some issues.

Many thanks,
Cheers
Aurelien
Aurélien Charrier
-nukeygara-
Aurélien - nukeygara

PostPosted by OldSalty » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Aurélien - nukeygara wrote:Hi OldSalty,

Do you have any crash message ?
Maybe could you send your akt file to Cedric (cvidalduvernet@nukeygara.com) ?
It is weird you crash during stacker merge excepted if your animation is very very long, but for instance, my mixamo files are about 22 seconds and no problem to merge !
However please keep in mind that handling/editing mocap datas is not the goal of akeytsu V1, so it sounds logical there are some issues.

Many thanks,
Cheers
Aurelien

Hey, I didn't have a crash message. But yes, the animations was quite long, approximately 3400 frames.
I'm cutting up the animation into cropped takes at the moment and I'll try again with a smaller take.
I can understand that expecting it to be able to handle large motion capture files, is a bit much, but I am trying to evaluate its maximum capabilities and see how I can use such an intuitive and time saving tool in our animation timeline.
I will try to get to pin point any bugs or issues if I can, and let you guys know.
OldSalty

Next

Return to akeytsu - Misc